Creating the perfect nursery for your child is a fun and exciting process where you can let your imagination run wild. This can sometimes prove tricky for those who are hoping to keep a certain interior aesthetic present throughout their entire home including the nursery. Despite the practicalities of a nursery, the interior scheme doesn’t have to be without the style and taste that you are accustomed to.
Faiza Seth is a busy working mother of three and the founder of luxury interior design and property agency Casa Forma. Having worked across many luxurious properties situated all around the world, from the Middle East to the prestigious One Hyde Park development she has all the experience and knowledge one could hope for from a skilled interior designer. Faiza shares her top tips on how to create the perfect nursery without forgoing style with The LuxPad below…
- For me it is so important for a nursery to have ample storage, ask any mother. Invest in bespoke joinery where possible, so that things can be tidied away neatly and that works perfectly for your space.
- Free-standing storage can be incorporated within a nicely upholstered ottoman, so that muslins and blankets can always be within easy reach.
3. A nursery should be welcoming and relaxed. Start by creating a warm and neutral base palette with creams, beiges and whites, you can easily build on this as their personalities and tastes develop
4. Although the majority of the room is understated, interest can be created using different textures and patterns in fabrics and wallcoverings.
5. A key piece of furniture is the nursing chair, which should of course be comfortable; with a high back and arms. Upholster in a luxurious fabric to create a subtle statement piece.
6. Scotch-guard all upholstery, so that you do not have to limit yourself to your fabric choices. This of course will also provide extra protection for any spills or mishaps that may happen.
7. Keep to one metal finish so that the tone is consistent throughout.
8. Ensure that lighting is treated as key pieces in the room, to create different levels of light; whether it is a task light or a night light for a little one.
9. Do not overlook playfulness and innocence when designing a luxury nursery. Dress the space with soft toys and figurines, in neutral color tones with a chosen accent color; so that the space is not overwhelmed with too much color.
10. Do not forget about cushions! Although cushions are generally seen as a mere accessory, they are incredibly useful for propping up or leaning on when trying to comfort a baby. So this is an opportunity to create or choose a beautiful accessory, which is also comfortable.